Monday, July 11, 2011

~Once Upon a Read-a-Thon - Update #2~

  "Once Upon a Read-a-Thon" is hosted by Angela at Reading Angel, Lori at Pure Imagination, Candace at Candace's Book Blog. It runs from 12:01 AM on July 11 to 11:59 PM on July 13th.




Book I'm Currently Reading: "The Peach Keeper" by Sarah Addison Allen
  
# of Pages Read (of book currently reading): 193 pages (out of 273 pages)
  
Total # Pages Read: 865 pages

Total # of Books Read (completed during Read-a-Thon): 2 

Names of Books Completed: "The Human Race" by O.C. Heaton and "The Mistress's Revenge" bt Tamar Cohen.




Comments/Concerns (about "The Mistress's Revenge"): "The Mistress's Revenge" seemed like a book I wouldn't enjoy much, given that I rarely read about jealous lovers and romance and such. But surprisingly, I'm liking this book so far. I find the cover absolutely intriguing. One cannot help but be engrossed in it, there's something about it. You can check out "The Mistress's Revenge" by Tamar Cohen on Goodreads in case you'd like to pick it up.

Comments/Concerns (about the book currently reading): I didn't realize that magical realism (think: The Time Traveler's Wife or The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake) were a theme in Sarah Addison Allen's "The Peach Keeper" but apparently such is the case. The book is well written, and the characterization is slow and methodical, like getting to know real people. There's a certain mysterious charm that keeps you invested in  finding out more about the history of the town of Walls of Water, and it's people. I'm definitely intrigued, and like it so

Book I Plan To Read Next: "What You See In The Dark" by Manuel Muñoz.



Mini-Challenge

Mini Challenge Question 1: What is your favorite type of myth (Greek, Roman, Egyptian etc)?
Answer:  Although all types of Mythology, be it Roman, Greek or Egyptian, is absolutely fascinating to read about, for me, Greek Mythology is absolutely enchanting. Especially given that there are so many character in Greek Mythology, each with it's unique set of traits and characteristics, and many of them intertwine to create a beautiful picture of power, romance, war and life. My love for Greek Mythology solidified as a sophomore in high school when I researched an argumentative essay about how women have been deemed inferior throughout history, incorporating the mythological stories of Persephone, Pandora and Psyche into my argument. Needless to say, I've loved Greek Mythology since.

Mini Challenge Question 2: What is your favorite book with some type of mythology in it?
Answer: I love "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" by Homer, but as for contemporary fiction, I absolutely fell in love with "Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)" by Josephine Angelini (click on the title for review). As I state in my review, "Also, this book includes a lot of info on Greek Mythology, but author Josephine Angelini has done the subject justice, and the myths and legends are seamlessly incorporated into the storyline." She provided enough pertinent details about the myth and the story behind the characters so as to not overwhelm or bore the reader, but was informative and provided a sturdy and sound foundation for each particular character inspired by a Greek God/myth. I cannot wait to read the next installment in this fast paced and riveting trilogy/saga.

A big thank you to Bailey of IB Book Blogging for hosting this amazing Mini-Challenge. Make sure to check it out here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are doing awesome! I am still on my second book! I hope you can fit in some reading time tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Shannon@BooksDevoured

    Dear Shannon,

    I have two important appointments during the day tomorrow, and then a dinner at night, so I have NO idea how much time I'll be able to dedicate to reading - which is why I'm striving so hard to get as much reading done as I possibly can TODAY! Thank you for your comment, and good luck to you :D

    Love,
    ~Hira~

    ReplyDelete

~Music I Love~

~Blog Awards~

~Blogs I Love~

Get your own free Blogoversary button!