Wednesday, July 13, 2011

~Once Upon a Read-a-Thon - Update#4~

"Once Upon a Read-a-Thon" is hosted by Angela at Reading Angel, Lori at Pure Imagination, Candace at Candace's Book Blog. It runs from 12:01 AM on July 11 to 11:59 PM on July 13th.







Book I'm Currently Reading: "Divergent" by Veronica Roth
  
# of Pages Read (of book currently reading): 413 pages (out of 487 pages)
  
Total # Pages Read:  1,358 pages

Total # of Books Read (completed during Read-a-Thon): 3

Names of Books Completed: "The Human Race" by O.C. Heaton, "The Mistress's Revenge" bt Tamar Cohen and "The Peach Keeper" by Sarah Addison Allen. (for pictures/book-covers check out the Update#3).

Comments/Concerns (about the book currently reading): When I made my last update, I'd stated that I was a little underwhelmed by the action in the book, and that although I liked the writing, it hadn't "gripped" me yet. Boy, was I wrong. Moving just a little forward, the action hit me LIKE A TON OF BRICKS - and I'm not even complaining. This book totally sucked me in! I know a book is worth it, when every bone in my body is aching (yesterday was a super-busy day), and my eyes are heavy with sleep, yet all I keep doing is telling myself, "just one more page...just one more!" LOL :P

Book I Plan To Read Next: "What You See In The Dark" by Manuel Muñoz.(Although, since it's the last day, I really want to challenge myself to pick up "Iron House" by John Hart and try to finsih it!).

Mini Challenge#1

Ok, well, the challenge is to play MATCHMAKER to characters that would otherwise not land together in a romantic tryst. I'm terrible at matchmaking (which is why I'm single, see!? LoL) but the following characters that I have picked, I think would work really well with each other. So, I'm pairing together:

Peter Pevensie (or High King, Peter the Magnificent) of The Chronicles of Narnia series  
 
❤  
 
Luna Lovegood of The Harry Potter series.

Why? : Well, Luna and Peter are, inadvertently, the same person. Inherently good, always looking out for their loved ones, always trying to do the right thing, and unfazed by the world to change who and how they are. Peter is good at making decisions, and Luna is excellent at sticking to her decisions. Plus, with Luna's beautiful eyes, and Peter's unruly crop of hair...can you imagine the offspring of this couple? lol =P I think they'd make an excellent couple, don't you? 

A big thank you to Nikki from Wicked Awesome Books for hosting this amazing Mini-Challenge. Make sure to check it out here

Mini-Challenge#2

Book Recommendations:

1) Any Book of Choice: Have you ever picked up a book completely unaware as to how it is going to be instrumental in changing your life, and then being truly and inexplicably bamboozled and overwhelmed by it's beauty? "19 Minutes" by Jodi Picoult was just such a book, for me. If you're looking for a contemporary read that incorporates real life, family drama, pivotal social issues, mystery, crime and even courtroom drama into one absolutely heartrending and gut-wrenching novel, "19 Minutes" is the book to pick up. Mind you, Jodi Picoult does not sugar-coat the subjects that she writes about, and as it is, the subjects she chooses are heavy-hitting ones - so this is not a book for you, if you're looking for a light, summery read. However, if you want to read a book on an important social issue such as teen-hazing, bullying, and teenage frustrations and the consequences of such actions, presented in an unbiased, multi-perspective and multi-faceted manner, then I highly doubt you'll find a better book than "19 Minutes" by Jodi Picoult out there. Full of rich characters, both beautiful and flawed, and a storyline that will break your heart and mend it, leaving you full of wonder and amazement, but ultimately this book is sure to change your life.

2) Favorite Book from Read-a-Thon Pile: You have definitely heard about this book before if you're a book lover. You've heard book-lovers gush about it's awesomeness, you've seen bloggers write reviews full of praises for it, and you've heard critics are duped to find fault with it. And believe me when I say, all of that hype, was not for nothing. "Divergent" by Veronica Roth is the kind of book that absolutely transports you from reality into a dystopian world full of action and drama. In this dark, and stark, time the society has been divided into five factions. Each faction is dedicated to the cultivation and edification of a certain virtue; Abnegation are the selfless ones, Candor value honesty above all, Erudite spend their life in the pursuit of knowledge and intelligence, Amity are dedicated to perpetuating peace and the Dauntless are the brave ones. When you reach a certain age, you take a test that tells you which faction your nature is best suited for. For Beatrice, this choice is harder than others, because she is a "divergent", someone who fits into more than one group - but this secret can be life-threatening for Beatrice. But Beatrice makes her choice; a choice that surprises everyone and changes her entire life. What follows next, is an action-packed, thrilling-ride that keeps the reader wanting more.

A big thank you to Ashley from Bleh to Basically Amazing Books for hosting this amazing Mini-Challenge. Make sure to check it out here

5 comments:

  1. Ooh excited to see a book I've read on your list! I read The Mistress's Revenge and thought it was quite good! The author really pegged the main character's emotional breakdown and I loved the journal style it's written in. I'm a sucker for journal and diary books.. haha Glad you're having a great time with the Read-a-Thon!

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Fireflywishes

    Dear April,

    Thank you for your wonderful comment. I really enjoyed it too. As a matter of fact, I think it was my quickest read during this read-a-thon! The journal entries made for an easy read, and were quite an intimate look at the character. I got really lucky, I chose some really good books this read-a-thon, and it really helped! :D

    Hope you'll continue to visit, April~! :D

    Love,
    ~Hira~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited that you are reading Divergent. I have it on the shelf, but haven't gotten around to reading it. Can't wait to se what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I read the book quite fast as well, It was surprisingly intimate and I LOVED the ending! It totally caught me by surprise! I'm glad you chose some great books, good luck with the rest of the Read-a-Thon, and yeah I'm a follower! :)

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read Divergent soon. And I absolutely love your matchmaking. Peter and Luna would work so well together and hello pretty babies! Thanks for joining in on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

~Music I Love~

~Blog Awards~

~Blogs I Love~

Get your own free Blogoversary button!